Sunday, April 19, 2009

Clean, clean, clean

Despite being kinda funky and low-rent, Joyful has claimed a spot in the Boulder Home and Garden Magazine's Home and Garden Fair. Just knowing that I'm going to be so close to all that fancy and eco-friendly stuff has me slipping unconsciously into jazzhands four or five times a day.
I've been caught on multiple occasions, when I was backed up with work, sneaking a peek at the beautiful, glossy pages of one home improvement mag or another. I love huge, west-facing walls done floor-to-ceiling in energy-efficient windows. I was born to pad lazily in socks across a sunlit bamboo floor. I want a swimming pond overlooking a lavender farm, dammit. Is that too much to ask?
Alright, so I'll have to wait (maybe forever) for a lot of what I want. As far as I can tell, no matter how much money you have, there's some coveted home luxury that you just can't have. The good news is, I've figured out a loophole. Every room in every magazine and catalog is clean and there are few decorations in this world that look good in a dirty house. It seems obvious that plates caked with soy cheese might hinder a house's ability to wow but cleaning just isn't as sexy as buying stuff.
So, my hat goes off to you if you cleaned today, or anytime this week. If you found junk you don't need, take it to Savers. If you found wood furniture you don't need, call me and we'll come get it. If you happened to buy something great and clean it too, well then you're golden.

After all, I would certainly never kick a new washing machine out of bed.

No comments: