Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I Love Lamp


My aversion to overhead lighting is so severe I suspect it could be the result of some allergy or mild form of autism that went undiagnosed in my childhood, but it's too late to worry about that now. Now I just shop for great lamps.

Before I invest in a lamp for Joyful, (regardless of whether the investment is a pile of cash or a midnight dumpster dive) I always consider the setting. Just because you love something doesn't mean you should live with it. Compatibility matters.

If your mansion is all cherry/marble/granite shi shi la la you may want to head down to Enlighten or Splashlight to gaze at the handblown beauties. If your pad looks like a go-go dancer from a Russ Meyer movie you'll want to check out Invironments and Design Within Reach. If your cottage likes it a little rustic, you may want to see what we've got at Joyful.

My favorite find of late is a cast iron combo of swirly fleur-de-lis and solid square base. Its deep amber shade looks like Lauren Ambrose in gothic armour. We've also got an elegant pair with vase-shaped bases and ultrasuede shades. Lastly, don't, for a minute, underestimate the powers of a standing lamp. Plugging in a table lamp when you're short on tables or plugs can be tricky. Suddenly little self-supporting illumination is a godsend. We currently have a slender stander with a smart, deco-style glass shade.

The best part of it all is the sound. Wall switches and dimmers don't hold a candle to the sound of a hand-turned lamp switch. At the end of the workday, at the end of the night, after the final word, I love that concise, conclusive sound.

Click.

No comments: